Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Some Thoughts on Social Media

I get such a tickle out of the Best Buy commercial which features all the updated gadgets available merely minutes after purchase.  If you haven't had the pleasure, click here.

It's one of those instances in which it's funny because it's true.  Technology is rapidly changing and so is the evolution of marketing on the internet.  I remember looking at Facebook for the first time and being unimpressed with it's primitive platform.  Now this network is taking over the web and our time.  Based on a 2009 Nielsen Report, there was an 82% increase in global time spent on Social Media sites with continued growth.

I've also read articles which give the bold statement that if your business isn't participating in Social Media then you'll be out of business in next 5 years.  Wow, that's pretty brash.   I can't say that I agree with that statement but I do see how using Social Media as a promotion vehicle could be extremely beneficial in connecting with potential clients.

Just like the Best Buy commercial, however, Social Media is constantly upgrading and changing.  For those of us who don't spend several hours a day researching trends like the Google +1 or Facebook's new "Places" feature, could easily fall behind.

I also think a difficult hurdle is realizing that even though we don't understand it, marketing practices are changing to parallel with what's getting attention.  I will always argue with my 15 yr old niece that Michael Jackson is 5 billion times better then Selena Gomez, I can't however argue that her manager is laughing all the way to the bank.

Twitter is my Selena.  Although I could be less interested and have no clue why others find it entertaining, there are 75 million users worldwide and therefore a great place to promote.  So yes I have a Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn account with countless others being developed everyday.  I'd also like to congratulate any of you who have also joined the every changing world of Social Media, it is no easy task!

No comments:

Post a Comment