Monday, February 6, 2012

You Can't Be Ambitious For Someone Else

This post is a little more personal but I thought the topic might resonate with others.

I was on a five hour hike with my mentor this past Saturday.  We dove into some personal issues, one of which was inspiring other's success.  I thought she would be proud of the fact that I was looking into a possible career track for my friend but was really surprised that she came back with the question, "why are you being ambitious for someone else?" I guess I never thought about it that way.  People who always try to improve themselves expect and sometimes even force others to have that same kind of drive. 

It may be more of tendency for women to take the lead for others, by researching opportunities, networking on their behalf or by polishing resumes, but in the end if they aren't inspired enough to do these actions on their own, how could we possibility think that they could succeed once we present the opportunity?

This is something to consider while assisting anyone in our life to "do better."  Some of you may have experienced this with helping family members or friends advance their careers.  I believe the biggest take-away was the by exuding the effort to help others, you're not focusing on the steps you need to take to advance your own career.

Although, I am a big supporter of trying to help those who are motivated, the conversation was definitely food for thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment