Friday, November 9, 2012

Trick to Being A Good Mentor

As I’ve written before, I’m a big believer in mentoring.  It astonishes me how today’s youth with access to the world-wide web, lack the most basic of skills.  The only way to bridge that gap is by sharing experiences, giving advice, and by setting the stage as someone who will truly be supportive and encouraging.

Although sometimes it’s hard to offer help to a generation that may think they already know it all.  I sometimes giggle at the fact that my niece and nephew educate me on how well they know so much about nothing.  Thinking back, I believe I was the same way, resistant to my elders.  It wasn’t until I met a woman who I had the utmost respect for, someone I wanted to be just like.  It was then that I started to listen.

So I guess the trick to being a great mentor is by just being someone others can look up to and who others will strive to be.  In that, giving advice will be much more accepted.  You can do good for others by doing good for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment