Monday, December 30, 2013

Fearless Career Quest


When it comes to looking for the next step in a career, one must be fearless!  Over the past couple weeks I have been “pounding the pavement” as they say, looking for not just any employment, but the next phase in my career. 

I have turned down offers which made my stomach turn.  Stressed over the smallest details. Been put under a microscope more times than I ever expected.  Gushed over amazing possibilities and spent hours sketching pros and cons lists.  In short, the process is a roller coaster.

However, regardless of highs and lows, I have learned a lot so far.  Each interview poses new questions that force me to look within and past a simple job description.  What you do for a living is a reflection of who you are and what future you strive to have.

For those of you who are looking for the next step in your career, I recommend you get a mentor.  My mentor’s advice has been invaluable.  To have another perspective will reveal so much you never thought consider.  I have requested advice from many of my professional friends who are able to articulate my feelings in a way that can help me make informed decisions.

In many cases, a decision is not black and white.  There are many things to consider.  Salary, benefits, work/live balance, growth potential, and company culture.  I am finding that most positions are not fives across the board, so compromise is required.  Realizing what you are willing to give up is also a process so do not expect it to be easy.

Truth is, career searching is hard.  You are going to want to give up and take an easy route but as someone in the situation, I urge you to stay fearless.  Nothing worth having, has ever come easy.  Test yourself, take lesson in defeats, celebrate even the smallest wins and you will concur your career quest.

Well I hope…. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment